Friday, February 1, 2008

Living Simply

What is living simply?

Simple Living elegantly defined by Duane Elgin is “Living in a way that is outwardly simple and inwardly rich” in 'Voluntary Simplicity' (a classic paperback. Used, for a mere 76 cents here).

Living a simple life is exactly that – simple. It does not mean forsaking all creature comforts and living like a hermit. Rather, you decide what is “enough” for you and do away with the rest. Voluntary simplicity is practised by a growing number of people who wish to tread lightly on our planet and who have no desire to keep up with the Joneses. It is a life that is ‘considered’, not thoughtless.

It is a life of consequence.


What are the benefits of simple living?

Tremendous. By consciously reducing your need to buy goods or services, you consequently lessen the need to sell your time and energy to make money to make these purchases.

The most important choice in living simply is
choosing to consume less.

After you have made this decision, you can then choose between:
1. Continuing to put in those hours at work (which then leads to choices as to how to spend the money freed up from your first decision) OR
2. Reduce your work hours (which then leads to choices as to how to spend that extra time!).

I chose the latter, and continue to choose this every single work day (I’m a recovering workaholic). I don’t get paid more for working overtime anyway, so it was/is a logical choice! I remind myself that I have more than enough (I make $600/month, before tax and before deducting expenses related to my medical conditions (Henoch Schonlein Purpura HSP and Multiple Chemical Sensitivities MCS, which I talk about in 'My disease defines me?' on my other blog).


How and where to begin this simple life?

Start by sitting back and taking a long, hard look at your possessions, particularly your costliest assets.

The most expensive purchase that should be considered is your house, for example. With the average price of a three bedroom house hovering at $150,000 and consequent repayments of $1000 a month, a house purchase is the biggest financial commitment you could make. Factors to consider when buying a house in line with living a simple life include: the living space you really need and the features that are essential to you.

The best all-round book to get you off to a good start on this is Shay Salomon's Little House on a Small Planet: Simple Homes, Cozy Retreats, and Energy Efficient Possibilities. (Used, paperback $11.76).


A simple living mantra
Not for me a mansion huge,
A cosy home is my refuge.
Bedrooms, bathrooms, rooms galore,
These I don’t need – it’s too much floor
To sweep and mop and dust and clean.
I love simple, I love‘green’.







No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you. Please do leave a comment!