Monday, July 16, 2012

Review of Line-Drying Contraptions and the Household Essentials 3-Arm Portable Umbrella Clothes Dryer Hanger: Easy Energy Savings!

Nothing beats the fresh scent of sun-kissed and breeze-dried laundry on the line, and the old-fashioned clothesline is the preferred method of getting clothes dry for many green-minded folks out there. It doesn't consume electricity or gas (like a dryer does) and is green as green can be. Clothes last longer as they don't get beat up in the tumble dryer, although direct sunlight does fade colors.

Growing up in tropical sunshine-y Malaysia, line-drying was all I knew. When I studied in the US, I lived in a small apartment, so I had a small stainless steel clothes dryer ($20, Walmart) that I used indoors that worked great. When I married and moved in our new home, I put up a line between two sturdy poles first chance I got. (Actually I instructed my DH in this operation hehe - see detailed instructions on Mother Earth News' how-to-guide). It didn't make sense using a dryer and wasting all that lovely sunshine! I guess the only thing I didn't like about this clothesline was the mad scramble to harvest laundry whenever a sudden downpour caught me by surprise. I fantasized about erecting a transparent shade awning over the clothesline but it was too expensive.

I believe I have now found the best set up for me. It is a fabulous contraption called the Household Essentials 3-Arm Portable Umbrella-Style Clothes Dryer that easily accomodates a load and a half of laundry, even king sized sheets and comforters in a compact space-saving 15 square feet (52" across). It is portable and can be moved about - the tripod legs ensure that the dryer stays upright and stable (except in exxxxtreme wind gusts, more on that below). I positioned it on my patio, under the steel awning - so the heat from the sun 'cooks' the laundry wonderfully yet does not fade colors. And best of all, I don't have to worry about rain, hail, snow or any other inclement weather. Or bird poop even. As you can see below, I have a small load of laundry on the dryer. I hang the small items (underwear and such) on the inner lines, out of sight. Note, I don't need clothes pins!

Add caption
The dryer has toppled over in very strong winds out in my yard, but under the awning, has stayed put nicely. It looks like it is built to last, although made from aluminum, it seems like a quality grade of aluminum. It weighs about 5 lbs.

I picked this brand of dryer (Household Essentials) over the other ones as it had garnered over 100 reviews (mostly positive) on Amazon. There are so many options for line dryers one can be spoilt for choice or overwhelmed. There are retractable line dryers, portable, fixed, three or four arm,  drying racks, wall-mounted dryers and the list seems neverending (search for line clothes dryers on Amazon.com). I usually go with what's proven popular with fellow shoppers, that's within my budget. In this case I paid less than $50, with free shipping. This thing has paid for itself in energy savings, twice over! Happy shopping!

Peace.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really fascinated by this line dryer. Do you think it is also usable indoors? I bought a Minky 3-tier rack on Amazon that I really love, but sometimes I wish I had a bit more drying space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JT, thanks for your comment! Yes, I used it indoors all winter and it's great because it takes up just a little corner in the laundry room and has so much drying space. The low humidity in wintertime made sure that clothes dried overnight. :)

      Delete

I LOVE hearing from you. Please do leave a comment!