Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Chicken Dumping Epidemic - Only in the USA

This morning's breaking news: chickens are being abandoned by their hipster owners disillusioned by notions of homesteading and self sufficiency. And a chicken shelter - who even knew there were such things?! - currently holds a couple hundred of these chooks awaiting rehoming to families around the country who wish to have themselves a pet chicken. 

My first thought was 'Food...'

I'm the go to gal in my family whenever a chicken needs putting down. So far it's been Opie, an alpha rooster who was terrorizing the kids and who also left some huge bruises on my back (but I assure you it wasn't revenge on my part I adore animals really). 

You'd never see this in China or Vietnam or Laos or well you get the idea. Places where chickens are viewed as food and not pet stock :)

2 comments:

  1. Whatever happened to wild and free chickens being able to fend for themselves? Over-domestication of animals by humans seem to be the root cause and secondly, the lack of info on homesteading for better more healthier organic foods. Philippines is a much resource-rich country when I compare it to my own (Singapore).

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE hearing from you. Please do leave a comment!