Thursday, April 1, 2010

Pastured vs organic 'cage free' eggs

Can you pick out which are the pastured eggs and which are
the store-bought 'cage-free' organic eggs?
I love eggs! They are the ultimate fast food for me and I start my morning with four over easy or with garlic and tomatoes in an omelette.

There's nothing better than a freshly laid egg from one of our family's free-range hens. The yolks sit high and proud, radiating a deep orangey goodness. The sort of goodness that comes from happy birds and sunny days spent scratching dirt and pecking bugs and greens. And the flavor, oh my... I eat around the yolk - the whites go in my eager belly first - then slide the entire yolk into my mouth where it does a slo-mo burst/ooze...mmmm mmmm mmmmm....

I sometimes resort to organic cage-free eggs (Egglands Best) because
our hens can't keep up with the demand (or my demand rather :)). These have 100 mg DHA in every egg, which is a very good thing, but next to our eggs they literally pale in comparison. Being less fresh, these store bought eggs have yolks that lay flatter on the pan, and are a paler yellow (don't even get me started on the regular/conventional eggs). Cage-free means less if one knows that the hens tend to stay inside where its warmer, and coop themselves up. These hens are fed an all-veggie diet, unlike our hens, which also eat bugs.

Can you tell which ones are the organic 'cage free' store-bought eggs and which ones are our pastured eggs?

Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE hearing from you. Please do leave a comment!